|Razelle||Date: Sunday, 2021-01-24, 8:59 PM | Message # 1|
Group: Staff Team
Detect Hidden Skill
On UO Stones the detect hidden skill has been altered. Players will get 1 tile per 10 skill put into learning Detect Hidden. Maximum is 12 tiles at 120 skill.
Detecting Hidden can be used to reveal hidden players and traps. There is both a passive and active form of Detect Hidden. When invoking this skill (active use), the character is given a targeting reticule and asked, "Where will you search?" The skill check is run when an area is selected. If successful, hidden characters and traps within the search range will be revealed. The further a hidden character or item is from the targeted tile, the less chance to detect successfully. Detect Hidden works against both Invisibility and Stealth, though not equally. Invisible characters are easier to detect. Use of the Detecting Hidden skill in a home the character owns or is friended to is always 100% successful. A stealther may re-hide immediately upon detection, wherein Tracking should then be used.
There is a 10 second delay between uses of Detecting Hidden.
The passive Detect Hidden range against a character using Stealth is a 4 tile radius; stealthers are advised to stay at least 4 tiles away from others.
- 1 - 30: Buy from NPC Thief Guildmaseter
- 30 - 120: Actively use the skill on a target around you.
Finding Hidden People
- The radius of detection is based on your Detect Hidden skill.
- Your chances of finding a hidden player depend on the relationship between your Detect Hidden skill and their Hiding skill.
- House owners, co-owners and friends are able to instantly reveal anyone hidden in their house regardless of skill level. You cannot gain skill by using Detect Hidden on the house floor.
- Having a high Detect Hidden skill helps to automatically reveal people that stealth in your vicinity; The passive Detect Hidden range against a character using Stealth is a 4 tile radius.
- The Detect Hidden skill also helps you when you are using the Tracking skill and when you use the Reveal spell.
- All human characters have Jack of all Trades of 20 Detect Hidden
- All elven characters have a racial bonus increased chance to passively Detect Hidden.
- Passive Detect Hidden is not active in “Abyss” ruleset shards.
Finding Hidden Containers
Kotl City, Exodus Dungeon and the sands around the wreck of the BMV Ararat have hidden containers which can be found using the detect hidden skill. If your skill is high enough, you will passively detect the boxes, receiving the message ‘your keen senses detect something hidden in the area’. You must then use the skill actively to locate and reveal the container. Exodus and BVM Ararat container types have 2 traps, poison and explosion. the Regal Box from the Kotl City has Poison and Dart trap
The training aid Crystal Ball of Knowledge obtained from Ortlem the Mystic’s quest is particularly useful, the difficulty of the skill being related to the distance from the target.
- Too Easy = on the hidden box but failed attempt
- Very Easy = 1-2 tiles away
- Easy = 3-4 Tiles away
- Optimal = 5+ tiles away
Most traps in the oldest dungeons are no longer hidden, they can be seen by a graphic of a saw blade hole or poison cloud.
Passive detection of other floor traps will only occur if a player has at least 75 detecting hidden skill.
Spawning or Static Boxes, Chests, Crates, Barrels and Kegs are almost always trapped. Most will have all three of the trap types.
Crafted, lockable containers can be trapped by a tinker. These include:
- Wooden Box
- Small Crate
- Medium Crate
- Large Crate
- Wooden Chest
- Plain Wooden Chest
- Ornate Wooden Chest
- Gilded Wooden Chest
- Wooden Footlocker
- Finished Wooden Chest
To see if a container is trapped place it on the floor and use the Detect Hidden skill on the container or on the floor next to it.
If the container is trapped and the skill is successful the word “[trapped]” will appear over it.
In the classic client only the 3 types of container traps are displayed with a colored “[trapped]” message when detected.
- Purple for explosion traps
- Blue for dart traps or dart & explosion traps
- Green for poison traps, poison & dart traps, poison & explosion traps or poison & dart & explosion traps
Virtue vs Vice Sigils & Traps
- A passive detecting hidden check will alert the player when they are near the sigil with a message that, “Their keen senses detect something hidden in the area” if a player has at least 80 detecting hidden skill.
- Players must use detecting hidden and have at least 100 stealing to reveal and steal the sigil.
- Traps can be passively detected with a detecting hidden skill of at least 80
- Traps can only be revealed by using the detecting hidden skill actively.